About Me

My photo
A nineteen year old with a camera in rural Norfolk. http://rosajoy.com

Sunday, 19 July 2009

Backblogging

I hate it. It’s such a pain, on both the blogger and the bloggee’s parts. For starters, every post has to be typed up from a dog-eared, biro-defaced notebook, and then you end up trawling through ten posts at once when you know there are far more important and worthwhile things you should be doing. Saving starving children in Africa. Or homework.

I know. I’ve been there, sat for an hour in front of the screen, scrolling through page after page, ignoring the little clock in the right-hand corner. Fifteen minutes, my conscience says, I can allow myself fifteen minutes of indulgence a day on such delights as “Izzy’s Blog: The Life and Times of a London Receptionist”, or “SHOCKERS! Your daily dose of celebrity scandals”.*

* I don’t really follow these blogs. But they do exist. If you don’t care about starving children in Africa, click and see.

But, bad and immoral and neuron-eating as this may be, I AM OK. Because I only allow myself fifteen minutes. And yet, now my morals are being put to the test. Here, with all this backblogging, I am faced with temptation. All those pages of posts, possibly funny, potentially interesting, just a click away.

And yes, I succumb. An hour later, and I am still there in front of the screen – not here, but here. I am the lowest form of life. I feel worse than the time I spent seven hours watching back-to-back re-runs of lost. Tomorrow, I know, I will have to ease my conscience by donating my sock draw to Bernardo’s, and signing up for the New Year’s Eve shift at the Norwich soup kitchens. I’ve forfeited the beginning of next year for ten pages of drivel.

I hope you won’t make the same mistake. Move your mouse to the little x up there, and click. Or better still, click here.

But if not, if the children in Africa have discovered an oil field below the refugee camp, or if you’ve finished all your homework (and that extra reading you were set), then I suppose it wouldn’t be irresponsible to direct you here.

Just, please, whatever you do: don't click the titles on the right hand side...

No comments:

Post a Comment