About Me

My photo
A nineteen year old with a camera in rural Norfolk. http://rosajoy.com

Tuesday, 10 November 2009

Sunset, Sunrise.


video


I found this book in the library today, by Susan Sontag. It's not a book, really; it's a series of essays. She's a literary theorist, but I don't know which genre of this particular book would fall under, because it's not literary criticism. It's photographic.

It sort of blew my mind. I was waiting to log on and it was just sitting on the shelf so I picked it up, and the next thing I knew the bell had gone and I'd been reading it for an hour. She talks about what role photography plays in society - what its purpose is, what it makes us. Stuff I'd almost thought about*, but couldn't unlock.

I can smell intellect. I can taste academia on the back of my throat. It's there, I just can't have it yet. I want uni so bad.

Incidentally, the video has nothing to do with any of this. I shot it last night, when I realised I was too late for the lens flare I'd wanted, but I couldn't bear to waste the sunset. I think stop-motion is going to become a new obsession.



*Jeez, I think this is Larkin's "almost-instinct, almost true" that I can't get out of my head since the lesson today. I need to stop nicking other people's stuff, and come up with something original.

No comments:

Post a Comment